T3D Re: SLR Twinning project considered: Please suggest candidates

  • From: David Glick <xid@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: SLR Twinning project considered: Please suggest candidates
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:43:39 -0400

Dogbreath <hopi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I would like to build my first twin rig from two 35mm SLR bodies.
>Someone has already explained to me
>about the possibilities of putting both cameras on winders and then wiring
>the winders together with a simple "parallel" switch (again, the electrical
>specifics elude me). I was also told the OM bodies may have electronically
>timed shutters, but the release is mechanical, so the OM system may not be
>the best candidate for a twin project. I would like to go with Nikon if OM
>won't work, but I'm open to anything.

I recently put together a twin rig of Olympus OM-4 cameras mounted on OM
Winder 2 s.  I made a cable connecting the winders' electronic releases,
and put a momentary action pushbutton switch in the cable, but it turns out
the switch would not be required.  Pressing the release button on either
winder triggers both of them.  I haven't done exhaustive tests on
synchronization, but it is quite good, and could probably be improved with
some additional circuitry in the connector cable.  I haven't tried in with
flash yet.  No modifications need to be made to cameras or winders.  The
disadvantage is that the two winders add noticeable weight.

I'd be glad to provide more information.

Dave Glick
State College, PA