T3D Equipment and The Image - Chapter 532

  • From: Eric <egoldste@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Equipment and The Image - Chapter 532
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 10:36:19 -0400

> Why should I buy a Leicaflex and a
> Leoica lens if a 40.00 camera will give me better images? I would not
> because I prize sharpness and contrast above all else.

Bob, out of respect to Elliot's request, I'm going to make this as brief
and as lucid as I know how...

I think your statement above is at the crux of the differences in this
discussion: you prize sharpness and contrast above all else, and I prize
THE IMAGE above all else.

In my opinion (and in the opinion of a great many photographers,
curators, editors and appreciators), not all images are best portrayed
with the highest possible sharpness and contrast. Some are, but some are not.

Said another way: In my view, the highest possible sharpness and
contrast is not the gold standard in photograph, the artestry of the
image is. Countless celebrated images were made with equipment and under
circumstances which yielded less than the highest possible sharpness and
contrast. They are celebrated because they exemplify other important
qualities. Some of these qualities are enhanced by using equipment and
techniques which do not render the highest possible sharpness and
contrast; in fact they sometimes result in just the opposite.

Yes, there are circumstances in which equipment and technique which
resulted in the highest possible sharpness and contrast were critical
contributions to a fine photograph. But there are many, many other
circumstances where just the opposite was true.

Perhaps you do not agree, but hopefully at least you understand...

Respectfully,

Eric G.