T3D digital stereo

  • From: John Toeppen <toeppen@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D digital stereo
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 11:20:17 -0700

Refresh my memory. Are you talking about digitally storing stereo images
taken on film or are you talking about using digital to take the 3D
images?  RM

I was talking about future efforts in digital capture.  Presently, once
I have acquired images on slides I scan the slides and store them on
CD.  This allows me to make duplicate copies and market my images:

http://members.home.net/holographics/cd~1.htm

new contents are also in the works.

I also store the bmps on CDs for archival purposes.  I am very happy
with this solution for film work.

Digital cameras are a bit pricey if one wants full SVGA resolution along
with some margins to allow cropping.  Memory cards and a laptop are also
required if one wants to shoot a few hundred images.  This is a
financial burden as well as one of weight and convince. For the price of
memory cards, or a laptop, one might do as well to purchase two
progressive framing video cameras.  Progressive video allows one to
place hours of 640 x 480 images on a single tape.

The 640 x 480 is not impressive resolution unless one uses the capacity
to record motion.  (http://members.home.com/holographics/tape.jpg)
Motion creates the impression of resolution by not parking the image on
pixels.  Now, this becomes a new medium requiring new hardware,
software, shooting styles, and display technologies.  My initial efforts
along this path are very encouraging.  But classic restraints are
imposed by both time and money.

A friend (http://members.home.net:80/pbmalloy/) of mine has written some
software to run two videos side by side in cross-eye viewing mode.  The
motion is a bit choppy still, but our computers are getting better.
Also, my autostereoscopic viewing hardware is also better:
(http://members.home.net/toeppen/autost.htm). So, while our path unfolds
before us, progress is a bit slow simply because we already have enough
things to do to occupy our time and consume our money.

So, what I seek on T3D is a general understanding of current options and
engaging conversation on these kinds of topics.  What are a few flames
among friends?

John Toeppen
http://members.home.com/holographics/

End of TECH-3D Digest 525