T3D Interesting Magnifier for a 3D viewer?

  • From: "Franklin J. Flocks" <fjf@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Interesting Magnifier for a 3D viewer?
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 12:53:50 -0700

            I bought two interesting magnifiers last week that I
       think may be useful in making or modifying a stereo viewer.

            The magnifiers are contained in Pentax Waist-Level
       Magni-Finders (Model FE-1).  They were designed for a top of
       the line Pentax camera that has not been made for about 10
       years. The finders originally cost about $300, but since the
       cameras are no longer made, I managed to get them for $75
       each.  I have not yet decided whether theses magnifier will
       make a great viewer. Here are some pluses and minus:

            The focal length of the lenses appears to be about 35mm.
       Magnification is about 8X.   They cover full frame (which is
       understandable, since they were designed for viewing the ground
       glass focusing screen of a 35mm camera.). The diameter of the
       eyepiece lens is about 26mm.  They can be focused individually.
       The center sharpness is excellent, and they lenses have great
       contrast.

            On the other hand, because of the short focal length,
       focus is very critical. Additionally, despite the wide
       diameter of the eyepiece lens, some type of inter ocular
       adjustment will probably be necessary, because the image must
       be viewed on axis to avoid distortion.

            In any event, experimenters might find it worth while to
       keep an eye out for these magnifiers.