Re: [tech-3d] Re: Stereo Base Calculation With a $20.00 Handheld

  • From: Andres Posada O <aposadao@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [tech-3d] Re: Stereo Base Calculation With a $20.00 Handheld
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:05:05 -0500

Michael:
   I only do 3D video, no photo. Some months ago I purchased a HP 48G+
and programed it with the same formulas you did. I have twitched them a
little to accommodate for different size CCDs in different types of
cameras and the "on film deviation". Your approach, very similar, to
mine has worked perfectly for me. Please visit vrex.com for an
interesting approach to the camera separation subject in a white paper
called "Rendering Stereo Image Pairs".
Andres Posada

"Michael K. Davis" wrote:

> Hi Allan,
>
> >Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 21:51:16 +1100
> >From: "Allan Griffin" <agriffin@xxxxxxxxxx>
> >Subject: Re: Stereo Base Calculation With a $20.00 Handheld
> >
> >Mike,  would you kindly explain this point to me:  "Are you proposing that
> >the fixed separation provided by the stereo cameras used by the bulk of us
> >for general subject matter (subjects other than macro or hyper) be discarded
> >in favour of a continuously variable inter-lens separation"?
>
> I haven't made an argument against using fixed-base stereo cameras.  The
> very title of my article makes it clear that it is about calculating stereo
> base, which is entirely irrelevant if you can't vary the separation.

eLerts