[tech-3d] Re: Stereo Base Calculation

  • From: "Michael K. Davis" <zilch0@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [tech-3d] Re: Stereo Base Calculation
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 13:42:35 -0600

Hi Abram,

Your previous "Carrolleschery" post was wonderfully humorous, but why must
the selection of a deviation be a showstopper?

>Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:51:39 -0000
>From: "Abram Klooswyk" <abram.klooswyk@xxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: Stereo Base Calculation
>
>There is a scene out there reaching from near to far.
>You want to take a stereopicture of it.
>When you have chosen a base and pressed the shutter,
>the deviation is fixed on the film. When you rather
>wanted another deviation, you should have changed the base.

Absolutely true.

>For a given scene and standpoint:
>Either you choose the base and get a deviation,
>or you choose the deviation and get a base.

Amen, but the latter approach is much more sensible in my opinion.

>A formula which pretends to give the right base
>but leaves to guessing which deviation to put in
>is just as useful as a formula which calculates
>the right deviation after you have guessed the
>base. In fact, it is one and the same formula,
>which some call "General Solution".
>Seldom a better paradox was formulated after Zeno,
>and as with Zeno the Solution is a mystery.

Where is the paradox?  Where is the mystery?

Your argument that the General Solution presents a paradox is like saying
your air conditioning thermostat is useless because you have to decide
where to set it!  The process of making the choice is actually fun and once
you've made that choice, the General Solution can deliver CONSISTENT
results across hundreds of stereo pairs.  Is that not a worthwhile goal?

Shoot several rolls always using a deviation equal to 80% of the MAOFD.
The base will obviously vary from scene to scene, but the resulting
deviation will be CONSTANT in every stereo pair you make.  If, after
several rolls of film, you decide you don't like the look of 80% MAOFD, try
a different percentage.  IT'S YOUR CHOICE!  Try 70% or 90% - get a feel for
what YOU PREFER.

>My advice: stick to General Motors, General Electric
>or General Eisenhower.
>(One of them was a stereographer :-).)
>
>Abram Klooswyk

I'll stick to the General Solution.

(Per my eariler post, titled "Stereo Base Calculation With a $20.00
Handheld", I do prefer to abandon the pursuit of a fixed deviation when the
Near:Far ratio falls below 1:2.)

Mike Davis