[tech-3d] Stereo Base

  • From: "Joseph Valvo" <jvalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [tech-3d] Stereo Base
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 16:57:57 -0500

Mike,

 I read with interest your dissertation on stereo base calculations and programming the HP30s.
You have made an interesting contribution.

However, I feel the formulas somewhat cumbersome and procedure to program somewhat lengthy. Further, with these low end calculators, sometimes pressing the wrong key screws up the whole string. That can be disaster, particularly half way through.

Is there some way you could condense the formula for those of us new at Stereo, and are satisfied taking a spread sheet into the field. I would want to put the formula in an Excel spread sheet. also would results be skewed to much if a guy used a constant for the far point? Please respond to me direct if you choose.

Regards some of the Tech-3D responses to your work, I find some quite bizarre, and most useless. I am reminded of certain religions fanatics that disdain the scientific approach to healing. Not necessarily because of ignorance but rather because of a fanaticism boarding on lunacy. I know one such fanatic that struggled with a paralyzed leg for 10 years and needed a live in helper lift him out of bed and carry him to the bathroom. When the helper died the cripple was forced to find outside assistance. Before he was able to obtain social assistance he was forced to go to a doctor. The doctor put him into "mental and physical therapy"! Thereafter he got up out of bed and walked to the bathroom with great proficiency!

I wonder how some of these naysayers think Kodak gets emulsion on film? Could it be they have a team of elves in a pitch dark room painting it on with brushes? Howcome Fuji hasn't caught on to this high tech technique?

Viva la science
Joseph