[tech-3d] Subject: Re: Stereo Base Calculation With a $20.00 Handheld

  • From: "Michael K. Davis" <zilch0@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [tech-3d] Subject: Re: Stereo Base Calculation With a $20.00 Handheld
  • Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 13:08:35 -0600

Andres,

I've been away for a week...

>Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 08:04:25 -0500
>From: Andres Posada O <aposadao@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: Re: Stereo Base Calculation with a $20.00 Handheld

[snip]

>Michael:
>   In my HP48G+ I can solve for what ever I want (anybody with the
>formulas in a computer or the like may obviopusly do it). Doing 3D video
>I am usually stuck to minimum camera separations, dictated by the camera
>sizes, that require that I solve for near point, sometimes I need to
>solve for far point.

I acknowledge the usefulness of solving for parameters other than base and
appreciate your comment for its testimony of the usefulness of the General
Solution.

The abilities of the HP 48G+ aside, I've never seen the General Solution
expressed as a solution for d (deviation), in print or online.  The point I
was making in the article to which you are responding was that no newbie is
likely to find himself in the quandary described by Abram:

>>Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:52:01 -0000
>>From: "Abram Klooswyk"
[snip]
>>Michael Davis wonders why I call the so-called "General Solution"
>>paradoxical.
>>The formula is for base calculation, to get a base which results in
>>a viewable deviation. Many newbies like such a rule. However, the
>>formula next asks for an _input_ of the deviation which it should
>>provide as _outcome_ on film, after _using_ the calculated base.
>>Newbies will ask: what deviation?
>>You can calculate it from the base, and than get in an endless
>>regression. In discussions many different values for deviation are
>>mentioned, which isn't particular helpful for newbies.

Again, given that 99% (?) of documentation on the General Solution solves
for base, the point of my article was:

>>   Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 23:31:39 -0600
>>   From: "Michael K. Davis" <zilch0@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

[snip]
>>I can't imagine any newbies actually doing the math to rearrange the
>>General Solution in the first place, much less finding themselves in an
>>endless regression, solving for deviation, then for base, then for
>>deviation, then for base, etc.

Lastly,

Although you wrote that you almost never solve for base, I noticed that the
examples you gave had you solving for parameters other than deviation:

>For example: if I have a minumum camera separation
>due to camera size of say 165mm, and the nearest object is going to be
>at 3000mm, then how far may the farthest object be, all this subjected
>to a MOFD choosen according to CCD size, lens focal length and TASTE.
>What happens to the near point if I change the focal length position in
>the cameras zoom lenses? Everything changes if I use 1/3", 1/2", or 3/4"
>CCDs cameras. MOFD numbers I change according obviously to CCD size, but
>also I use more "liberal" numbers if all subjects are inside the window,
>be more conservative with subjects way out of the window and near to the
>camera. My point is I almost never solve for base.

In these examples, you are choosing a value for deviation, not solving for
it.  I'm willing to concede that someone out there has a use for an
equation that solves for deviation, but contrary to Abram's contention, I
suspect the greenest of newcomers would understand that an equation that
solves for base uses variables that are supplied by the user, not
calculated by rearranging the equation!

Mike

eGroups eLerts