[tech-3d] 4x5" viewer & hypers

  • From: John Toeppen <toeppen@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [tech-3d] 4x5" viewer & hypers
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 16:42:00 -0800

Brewster stereoscopes employed turning mirrors after the eyepieces.  If
the images are poster sized one can omit lenses entirely.  The mirror in
front of the right eye looks at the poster on the right and the left the
left.  The "poster" could be a large contact print or even an enlarged
medium format print.  There was a time when poster sized photos were
produced in poster sized cameras...for example, in railroad
advertising.  Possible, but expensive, and with a small museum market at
best.  However, self indulgence in technology can be its own reward.

Oh, regarding the Yosemite hypers.  Experiments are part of the path of
learning.  I could exclude images from my collections because they are
not perfect.  But shooting these images allowed me to move onto the next
step.  It is important to understand what works and what doesn't and
why. Most of the people who buy such images are shooting too.

I still shoot hypers.(http://members.home.net/toeppen/slk.jpg)
Sometimes, it is nice to see the terrain, the trail, and billows of the
clouds. It is not "ortho" and it is not intended to be.  Exclusion of
all foreground may be desirable and impossible. One could simply not
take the shot, or heavily crop (or zoom).  When you are there you shoot
and edit later.  The content that one includes on a CD depends on the
market that they are adressing.

When my CDs are selling in WalMart the content will be more distilled.
Wait and see.

John Toeppen
more hypers if my AT&T ISP is working:
http://members.home.net/toeppen/index3.htm