Re: [tech-3d] alternate-line polarized LCD monitors

  • From: lunazzi <lunazzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [tech-3d] alternate-line polarized LCD monitors
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 19:35:39 -0300

Caro Sergio:

sergio baldissara wrote:

> some years ago VRex announced a 3d display for laptop computers. the LCD display had interleved polarisation, say light from odd lines was polarized at 45° and light from even lines had 135° polarisation (or vice versa).

Lo sapevo, la o viduto en demonstrazione da Tektronix nove ani fá a Boston.

> Such a screen could allow to see interlaced 3d pics and videos by ordinary passive polarized glasses.
> VRex never started mass production; other companies sell at $2000 more complex add-ons for CRT monitors (Z-Screens, NuVision), but indeed the alternate-line LCD seems to be the smartest solution.

I read that, fast. I guess that circular polarizers could allow for rotation of
the head of the observer, but I do not have the scheme to prove that.

> It seems we got to a dead end, because no one of us can imagine how to buld such a filter screen.
It must be done by people who already works in that technology. May be its easy,
if you can control at each horizontal line the base of polarisation of the
liquid crystal.
At a single experience trial, not at mass production.

> No ideas from this list? Might HOE technology help?
HOE can not deal with the color reproduction, until now. In anaglyphic HOE is
already a simple solution but does not offer wide lateral field for head
movements.

That is why I work in holoTV, not stereo.

> Sergio

Ciao!

Giussepe
--
Prof. José J. Lunazzi
Universidade Estadual de Campinas - UNICAMP - Instituto de Física

http://us.click.yahoo.com/n4HqaC/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/tvDVlB/TM