[tech-3d] idea regarding alternate-line micro polarizer

  • From: John Toeppen <toeppen@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [tech-3d] idea regarding alternate-line micro polarizer
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 20:45:12 -0800

Andrew is very tuned into our technology. It figures that he would know
right away (Andrew is a chairman) SPIE is THE technical source for many
of us.  I would strongly recommend attending the Photonics West
Stereoscopic Displays, holography, laser, and other cool hardware
conference in San Jose California late next January.

Regarding a LCD possible line retarder fab technique -
Vivian Walworth told me of her work with Ed Land using matrix film.
Matrix film is a relief emulsion with a polarization retardance
proportional to thickness.  Line alternate polarization could be
produced using a high contrast film mask contact printed into the
matrix.

> > No ideas from this list? Might HOE technology help?

One could generate the mask using holographic techniques or conventional
chrome on quartz,  So, I think that you could do it with time, money,
knowledge, and desire.  Doing it well is tougher yet. We use our own
laser plotters and holographic fringe generation equipment at LLNL:
http://lasers.llnl.gov/diffractive-optics/

This hardware produces high value optics using 1.1 Meter 1/20 wave
collimators.  Plotters are cheaper for coarse features.  And that is not
cheap either.

Since it is patented you do not get to sell them without permission.
VRex will sell you the whole display for less than it would cost you to
make one filter.

John Toeppen

http://us.click.yahoo.com/n4HqaC/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/tvDVlB/TM