[tech-3d] Re: alternate-line polarized LCD monitors

  • From: Andrew Woods <A.Woods@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [tech-3d] Re: alternate-line polarized LCD monitors
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:45:35 +0800 (WST)

sergio baldissara <bobongo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> some years ago VRex announced a 3d display for laptop computers. the
> LCD display had interleved polarisation
[snip]
> It seems we got to a dead end, because no one of us can imagine how to buld such a filter screen.
> No ideas from this list? Might HOE technology help?

Sadeg Faris developed the idea and patended it in 1995 - he called it
a micro-polariser array (uPol for short).

The uPol technology was discussed in his paper at the 1994
Stereoscopic Displays and Applications conference:
 S.Faris "Novel 3-D stereoscopic Imaging technology" in Proceedings
 of SPIE VOl. 2177, Stereoscopic Displays and Virtual Reality Systems,
 February 1994.
<http://bookstore.spie.org/cgi-bin/abstract.pl?bibcode=1994SPIE%2e2177%2e%2e180F&db_key=INST&qs=spie>

Unfortunately this particular paper doesn't discuss the method by which the
micropolariser array was manufactured.

His actual patent is located at:
 <http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=US06195205__>

I'm not sure whether this contains the detail of the array manufacture
technique.

A more recent paper did discuss a possible manufacture process
(at the 2000 Stereoscopic Displays and Applications conference):
 Tsai, Lee, Huang, Lee "Fabricating Polymetric Micro-Retardation Arrays
 for Autostereoscopic Display Systems by CO2 Laser Heat Processing
 Technology" in Proc. of SPIE Vol. 3957, Stereoscopic Displays and
 Virtual Reality Systems VII, Jan 2000.
<http://bookstore.spie.org/cgi-bin/abstract.pl?bibcode=2000SPIE%2e3957%2e%2e142T&db_key=INST&qs=spie>

Cheers,
Andrew.