[tech-3d] Ultra Hi resolution digital photography using scanner technology

  • From: "Franklin J. Flocks" <fjf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [tech-3d] Ultra Hi resolution digital photography using scanner technology
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 16:52:46 -0700

On April 6, 2001, lunazii wrote:

"I am sorry to bother you, but I did not understood why you need to move the
sensor, not just leaving the scanner as it is.

I use to make photograps of objects with my digital HP scanner, after I
discovered the extraordinary depth of field (focus) it has.

So, I suppose that it could be possible to add a lens using external light to
make a photograph.

Am I right?"

_______
I believe this is basically true. - The scanner motor could be left
to move the sensor just as it is - but replacing the scanner's
lens with one that would clearly focus distance objects on the
sensor should improve performance.   But I found it interesting that
the man who built his own scanner camera found it easier to move
the entire scanner-lens assembly in an arc - than to just leave
the scanner sensor moving in a straight line as it would when inside
the scanner.  See:

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/tech/scanner.html.

For a large (scanner sized) stereo camera, I think there would be
certain advantages to using his method - the sensors could be placed
close together - and the lens-sensor assemblies could be moved in
an arc - to form a panorama.  - But if you used the other method
you could get the lenses no closer together than the width of the
scanners.