Re: [tech-3d] Ultra hi resolution digital photography using scanner technology

  • From: John Toeppen <toeppen@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [tech-3d] Ultra hi resolution digital photography using scanner technology
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 18:59:28 -0700

"Franklin J. Flocks" wrote:

>  http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/tech/scanner.html
>
>       http://www.sjphoto.com/index.shtml

This is very cool stuff.  A stereo scanner could be built in many
different ways.  LC shutters could switch between L&R providing a
vertically interlaced image.  Twin heads would work well.  Software and
viewing are not impossible issues.

Single cameras and software are another path to stereo pans.

I have used a 6K by 8K Dicomed scanner back on a Nikon reflex 4x5" to
shoot stereomicrophotos of laser damaged glass.  Stereo allowed us to
acquire z data. This was fine, but the hardware was not mine to take to
Yosemite or beyond. It compelled me to make many 2k x 2k images that I
pan around in.  Sometimes I save sequential crops to replay as short
animations.  I use interlaced glasses or my own autostereoscopic system.

We live in an interesting age.  Software and hardware have developed to
a point to where individuals can buy what want (if they sacrifice all
else in whole or part).  Technologies that can first be assembled using
1x2"s.  What fun.  No wonder there is a revival of stereo in the digital
domain.

John Toeppen

http://members.home.com/holographics/