[tech-3d] scanner technology...

  • From: "sergio baldissara" <bobongo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [tech-3d] scanner technology...
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:28:29 +0200

I have no manual skill and know little about electronics, but the postings about scanner technology made me wonder... perhaps I'll look for a cheap used parallel-port handheld scanner and try some experiments, but now I'll tell you what came up to my mind.
1. an handheld scanner, traveling together with a lens along an appropriate railing (a straight or bent board with a long and wide slit in it) should provide excellent panoramics.
2. the same scanner-lens assembly, and a board with 2 window openings should work well for stereo.
3. twisting the lens-scanner assemby around a vertical axis we should get 360° panoramics...

but together with these self-crafting fantasies, I considered also that the scanner group in a flatbed scanner doesn't behave differently than the slit of a curtain shutter in a camera... thus perhaps yelding to industrial applications (the gigabyte camera...)... If  the applications of scanner technology into photography were an idea of mine, I would hurry to apply for a patent.
Sergio