Re: [tech-3d] scanner technology...

  • From: Brian Reynolds <reynolds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [tech-3d] scanner technology...
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:41:33 -0400

Sergio Baldissara wrote:
> I have no manual skill and know little about electronics, but the
> postings about scanner technology made me wonder... perhaps I'll
> look for a cheap used parallel-port handheld scanner and try some
> experiments, but now I'll tell you what came up to my mind.
>
> 1. an handheld scanner, traveling together with a lens along an
>    appropriate railing (a straight or bent board with a long and
>    wide slit in it) should provide excellent panoramics.
>
> 2. the same scanner-lens assembly, and a board with 2 window
>    openings should work well for stereo.
>
> 3. twisting the lens-scanner assemby around a vertical axis we
>    should get 360° panoramics...
>
> but together with these self-crafting fantasies, I considered also
> that the scanner group in a flatbed scanner doesn't behave
> differently than the slit of a curtain shutter in a camera... thus
> perhaps yelding to industrial applications (the gigabyte
> camera...)... If the applications of scanner technology into
> photography were an idea of mine, I would hurry to apply for a
> patent.

Andrew Davidhazy at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) has been
doing work with handscanners used as panoramic cameras.  He's also
done work with slit scan cameras.

Some astrophotographers have been using the guts of hand scanners as
astro CCD cameras for a number of years now.  Usually in
astrophotography you have to move the camera/telescope in order to
allow for the Earth's movement.  By properly aligning the
handscanner/camera with the Earth's axis you can mount a
scancam/telescope on a fixed mount and read off rows of pixels as the
sky moves across the linear CCD.  You can see this at Peter
Armstrong's ScanCam page <URL:http://www.scancam.com/>.  He has also
sorts of information (including timing and circuit diagrams) for
turning a hand scanner into a camera.

--
Brian Reynolds                  | "Dee Dee!  Don't touch that button!"
reynolds@xxxxxxxxx              | "Oooh!"