Re: MY THOUGHTS ABOUT LIGHT AND COMPOSITION

  • From: Alan Zinn <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: MY THOUGHTS ABOUT LIGHT AND COMPOSITION
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 08:38:06 -0500

At 09:34 PM 2/26/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>Composition is not easily defined. What is well composed to you, might be
>deplorable to me. Color? that is subjective as well. My only question is
>what do you mean by Gesture? Please define it for me/us.
>

>RM
>
>Good point, and THE point, in fact.
>
>Composition including the qualities of light, as defined in photography as
>sitometry; this is the stuff that made the Beaux Arts, Beaux.
>
>Steve

Steve,
Sitometry??  Couldn't find it in my ten-pound Websters.  Found sitology -
the study of food.  Sitomania and sitophobia explain themselves.  Could
sitometry be the measurement of food?<>

Light, composition, and color in themselves are interesting but in a
limiting way. The impressionist painters are a good example of that. The art
just becomes gestures and formal mannerisms after a while. They ran out of
ideas and we got the cubists, abstractionists, and so on.

AZ