Re: long length panoramas

  • From: Andrew Davidhazy <ANDPPH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: long length panoramas
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:55:36 -0400 (EDT)

> Just an aside to the current thread. I used to work in aerial survey and we
had a 35mm slit camera mounted vertically on a piper cub to record the ground
features while doing a scintillometer survey three hundred feet above terrain.
Runs could be up to a hundred miles long. We used to process the B&W film in
the bush, if there was stream nearby it would come in handy for washing
hundreds of feet of film.

Early models of this camera design were made by Chicago Aerial Industries
during WWII and I think they were referred to as "Sonne" cameras after the
designer. I believe General Goddard had something to do with their development
and installation in US reconnaissance aircraft. They were patterend after early
photofinish cameras made by various people by Western Electric I believe was
one company involved. These Sonne cameras allowed the plane to fly low, fly fast
and hopefully come back in one piece ... useful for the photo intelligence
gathered to be of any use!

Andy  o o  0 0 o . o  Davidhazy, Imaging and Photo Tech
       \/\/\/\/\/\/          http://www.rit.edu/~andpph