Re: Long, long, and then some panoramas

  • From: Andrew Davidhazy <ANDPPH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Long, long, and then some panoramas
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:39:23 -0400 (EDT)

A introductory treatment of the factors that allow any strip camera to do
panoramic, peripheral or linear strip photography are available in several
articles published on the web at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/articles.html

I generally don't like to do things "by the numbers" without knowing what the
actual factors are that make a "by the numbers" approach work. So many years
ago I tried to put together a layman's introduction to the theory behind the
practice in this field along with "by the numbers" charts for various
applications.

The application of a Cirkut and a Hulcher camera (or any other strip camera for
that matter) for the purposes of making reproductions of facades facing a
roadway or similar or for the photography of horses finishing a race and
passing trains or such were also described in an article published in the IPPA
(or is it IAPP?) newsletter.

BTW,

> "I would like to setup my 220VR camera in a moving automoblie (car) to
> photograph buildings across the street so that the image is free of
> perspective (orthographic)."

Orthographic would mean devoid of perspective in all directions. Moving strip
cameras can eliminate perspective in one direction (that which is perpendicular
to the slit or parallel to film movement) but not in both. I think (not sure)
only telecentric systems can do this or images that have been "massaged" by
sophisticated mathematical algorithms such as used for certain types of
mapmaking.

... not really "panoramic" in topic but maybe something to think about.

Andy  o o  0 0 o . o  Davidhazy, Imaging and Photo Tech
       \/\/\/\/\/\/          http://www.rit.edu/~andpph