Re: swing lens distortion

  • From: Alan Zinn <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: swing lens distortion
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 08:46:50 -0500

At 01:14 PM 12/25/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Howdy
>
>I'm not a swing lens or rotational camera user, but I really like a well
>crafted image made with these cameras.
>
>That said, and this is a very subjective opinion, I find many such images to
>be hard to comprehend. My sense of space and direction are largely befuddled
>by images that sweep more than about 120 degrees. (I've done several with my
>digital camera and stitched them together only to find, even though I was the
>person that produced the image, that they are hard to look at in with a
>conventional eye). Maybe that is the point.

Craig,
That is the point!  Part of seeing art is discovering the ways the artist
has given to see the image.  Think of scrolls.  One isn't expected to look
at the whole image at once. The problem is that panoramas have a conflict
with the means there are to display them. Put them in a frame and it forces
the viewer into a conventional picture seeing mode. The viewer has to learn
to see the picture in many ways. Look at the picture the way you view a real
scene.

AZ
Have a Safe Holliday Season.
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8874/

Lookaround Panoramic Cameras and Gallery:
http://www.keva.com/lookaround