Re: Fuji G617 focusing screens, ND filter usage, etc., questions

  • From: Ellis Vener <evphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Fuji G617 focusing screens, ND filter usage, etc., questions
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 19:10:59 -0600

Roman Gill wrote:

> I recently acquired an excellent condition Fuji G617 camera and am also a new member of this list server. Being new to panaromic photography and this cameras, I'm hoping some more experienced users of this camera can answer the following questions for me:
>
>Question:Apparently, it's tricky framing photos with the G617 (due to
the rangefinder design, I suppose).  Have you found this to be an issue?

Answer: Actually it is not that tricky. if you can just see the bubble
level in the notch at the bottom of the viewfinder your eye is centered.
If most of your subjects are fifteen feet or more away the horizontal
and vertical framing is very accurate. If you are worried about parallax
correction then after you frame the image raise the camera about an inch
and a half and you'll be lined up correctly.

> >Question: From your experience, should one use the centre ND filter all the time with this camera or only under specific lighting conditions? Does digital image manipulation in Photoshop negate the need for the centre ND filter?

Answer: When I had a G617 I used the center filter all the time. It will
save you a lot of hassle, time & money as opposed to getting those 17 cm
long images drum scanned.

> Question: Are there any other tips you can share with me to make my experience with this camera more enjoyable?

Answer: The camera is best at f/16 to f/22.5. You need to think of
composition more as a flow from side to side rather top to bottom. Shoot
a lot of film, practice makes perfect. These cameras are fun to use.
Ignore those who claim it isn't a 'true panoramic camera' because it
only covers about 90 degrees. Bring  two cable releases so you can
trigger the lens separately if you want to for multiple exposures. Did I
mention have fun?

> Thanks,
> Roman

You're welcome,