Re: How do you make a panorama Photo?

  • From: WILLIAM D SCHWADERER <WDAVID@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: How do you make a panorama Photo?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:50:42 -0800

> Then I got a
> cheap digital camera and started stitching images from that.  It's
> only 1024x768, but the results aren't too bad at all for the cost.

The images at:

http://www.spinpic.com/pano_index.htm
http://www.spinpic.com/pano_hawaii.htm

were almost all shot at 1024x768 using a 2.1 MPixel (1600x1200) Olympus
2020Z -  a $550 (US) work horse that finally died last Wednesday.  The
original images, which are many times larger, are way better than OK for
12"x60" prints for most uses.

All 360 camera approaches have side effects, period.  Using the approach I
prefer -  using inexpensive conventional digital cameras whose capabilities
are ramped back and stitching - delivers solid performance nearly every
time.  Want higher resolution? Unleash the camera a bit...

There is no substitute for the resolution or the fact you can see the near
final results on the spot *if* you decide to haul a laptop along.  This
approach allows you to become a media engine.  For example, I have
suffocating coverage of a recent industry event I completed shooting and
stitching in 2 hours.

In another email, Robert Ericson (not a customer of ours) mentions
generating income via digital panoramic imaging and selling a Circut camera.
He also has a wonderful page:

http://panoramic.net/www/HandBuilt.htm

that discusses many ingenious designs, some digital.

Think about it...it really does work...

---

Best regards,
W. David Schwaderer