Re: internal panoramas

  • From: Joe McCary <mccary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: internal panoramas
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 10:36:17 -0500

I am not sure by "Internal Panoramas" you mean setting up a film panorama
camera and shooting indoors or do you mean shooting digital images indoors
and stitching these together.

If you mean the first, I have done a few and perhaps I can offer some
suggestions; I use a Noblex 150F (limited focus ability) and I used Fuji 800
color negative film and had great success.  The images were stunning.

If you mean shooting digital, I have heed plenty experience with this.  The
key, IMHO, is the panorama head and making sure the camera is set to rotate
ON the lens' nodal point.  IF you do that, you will have virtually problem
free images (assuming no people).  The key to that is the get the head very
level (a bit of redundancy I suppose, if it is level; its level and if it is
not exactly level it isn't level).

I shot with a 35mm lens equivalent focal length and shot verticals and made
18 overlapping about 50% each.  I stitched them together in Photo Vista and
they are stunning.  The client (local Auto Show) loved them and the concept
has been copied by several other auto shows around the country since I did
these in 1998. Microsoft who handles the Detroit show called to learn how
these were done.  I wouldn't tell them cause they wouldn't hire me to do
them but since this isn't rocket science they figured it out and did them
for that premier show.  I have an example on my web page
www.photoresponse.com and you could have a look.  Watch for the VIRTUAL TOUR
Link.

If you have any specific questions I would be glad to help.  One other hint
is to use some  software that makes you job look good and makes it easy.  I
used a JAVA script called placebase.  It doesn't require a special browser
plugin and also has a map so if you have several panoramas to be shown you
can relate them to each other on the map.  That software can be found at
www.placebase.com

Joe McCary