Re: Epson printers to longer than 44"

  • From: Thinh Le <thinh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Epson printers to longer than 44"
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:34:37 -0800

I am using Adobe InDesign on Windows 98 to print images that are  longer
than 44". This procedure might work with similar applications such as Page
Maker, Quark, etc. but I haven't tried these.

(*) Create a document with multiple page spread with no margin and place my
long image across the pages.
(*) With paper option set to roll paper in the Epson driver setup, InDesign
will send the document to the printer page by page and there's no gap
between the pages.

I have been making 90" and longer panoramic prints this way on the Epson
1200 and Epson 1270 with great results. I usually keep the page size small
and have more pages (this also a good way to get around memory problems that
the Epson driver seem to have for very large files) Because printing at this
length takes a while, I would suggest a faster printer such as the 1270 or
the 1280. Another good thing with InDesign is that it allows you to place
the Photoshop file directly into the document so that you can print with the
ICM setting and get exactly the same color you would have gotten if you
could print the document directly from Photoshop.

The ideal solution really is to have an enhancement option in Photoshop to
send continuous pages to the printer if the document is larger than the page
size and a new CONTINUOUS ROLL option is selected. Currently, Photoshop
simply crops the image if it's larger than the document size. Hey, if enough
people on this list send this request to Adobe then they might do something.

TL