Re: 5" FILM SPOOLING PROBLEM

  • From: James Young <jamiehy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: 5" FILM SPOOLING PROBLEM
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 17:19:36 -0500

>btw, there's plenty of leader on the roll - 24" - and
>the film ends up on the original spool with the 24" of
>leader after exposure.
>
>Andy
>--- Andy Buck <buckwiet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  I've bought some 5" b&w film from Film for Classics.
>>  They spooled it onto 5" spools that I supplied made
>>  from cut down 10" Cirkut spools. They were very
>>  carefully measured to 5" width. The film is exactly
>>  5"
>>  wide, yet - due to no fault of FforC, I believe -
>>  I'm
>>  getting extremely bad flare/light leaks coming in
>>  from
>>  the edges. Only about 1" is not destroyed. The
>>  camera
>>  is winding the film tight, as tight as it comes.
>>
>>  Any suggetions as to how to stop this?
>>
>>  Thanks!
>>  Andy

>http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Unfortunately you need to test to see what step the fogging is happening.

Running an unhandled & unexposed roll would check for leakage from
before you received the film. Not a great choice as you have to use
up an expensive hard to find product.

two might give you some clues about what's happening as well.

Checking for light leaks in the camera would be wise.

If you are using 5" aerial film without antihalation backing, you'll
have  great  many more problems with flare.

If you are using a thick film base like a sheet film base it will
want to unwind more, and may not be as tight as you think on the
roll. It will tend to unwind itself without constant pressure to keep
it tight.
What kind of film is it? Jamie Young from Madison, WI