P3D Re: Sprucing up a Realist

  • From: Marcus Warrington <marcusw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: P3D Re: Sprucing up a Realist
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 12:58:20 +0100

Gabriel  writes

>Anyone have any suggestions on what is the best way to touch
>up or repaint the metal parts. Regarding the leather, has
>anyone ever replaced it and sanded down those bumps. How about
>different color paints and leather.

I've been toying with this idea myself for a few months (actually getting on for
a year now.. how time flies when your thinking about doing something rather
than actually doing it :)).

Replacing the leather(ette) should be real easy to do...
I was thinking about a deep maroon coloured leather with gold lense rings and
black top and bottom....or maybe a grey "elephant hide" leather with everything
else in chrome.
Another thought was not to use leather at all but make a cardboard template (to get
the thickness of leather) and use christmas/birrthday wrapping paper (sealed with a
spray varnish).
How about removing the leather, spraying the base silver and then overlaying with some
dress makers lace sprayed with black enal paint.. should give an interesting frett work
effect
What about scanning a stereo card, reducing the size and printing it out and having
it adorne the Realists back door plate..

.. somebody stop me... please... :)

The (black) metal parts could probably be simply sprayed with an enamel spray paint
(hammerite?).

Sanding down (lapping) the pits should also be possible but the focusing would have
to be recalibrated ; since apart from actually having to remove the lenses, the replating
would actually alter the thickness of the plate and hence its distance from the film plane..

It should be possible to have this work done fairly cheaply (certainly less than the price you
paid for the realist itslef). Check out custom motorcycle dealers/magazine for one off
replating jobs..

I wanted mine (hard) chromed (to a mirror finish), with black and gold fittings. Although
annodised in blue with matching blue leather also appealed ?

Best bet is to take a digital picture of your Realist and have a play with various designs in
Paint Shop Pro...

My advise is go for it... but then again I obviously dont listen to my own advice as my
two realists are still plain jane ugly..

Actually.. you've got ME all fired up now..  now where did I put that old 3.5..

Marcus ?8^p
.---------.-------.--v----------.-------.--..-------------------------------.
|        : \.~~~./ : |         : \.~~~./ : ||Marcus J Warrington BSc (Hons) |
|  ..     Y o. .o Y  |     ..   Y o. .o Y  ||Senior Analyst Programmer      |
| ::      :   (@) :  |    ::    :  (@)  :  ||M.I.S Computer Systems         |
| `. ~~__~\ `._!_./  |    `.~~__\`._!_.'/  ||                               |
|  :       :  `~'Y   |    :      : `~'  Y  ||Phone :(+44) (0)1606 330 606   |
|  ;      ;    D  \  |    ;     ;    D   \ ||Email :marcusw@xxxxxxxxx       |
|  :           .  !  |    :          .   ! | >-----------------------------<
| :   .        ;  !  |   :   .       ;   ! ||     FreeView : WallEyed       |
| ;  :~__\    /  !   |   ;  :~_\    /:  !  ||  ***WARNING*** This .sig is   |
|/ ;'! /  Y  / : !   |  / ;' ! /Y  /  : !  ||  protected by 3D Guard Dogs   |
: :. `:.  : !  : !   | : :.  `:.: !   : !  ||The opinions herein are my own |
`.i'      : !  . `.. | `.i'     : !   . `..||and , unless explicitly stated,|
|         ; `.  `~'' |          ; `.   `~''||may not represent those of MIS |
               Next Third Dimension Society Meeting Tuesday 20th Oct at
       Unsworth South Social Club , Whitefield (Junction 17 of M62) 8pm Start.