P3D Re: GB> RF Radiation: Funzies!

  • From: Bob Wier <wier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: P3D Re: GB> RF Radiation: Funzies!
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 01:25:56 -0700

Here's kind of a funny thing that came thru the old ham radio
equipment list which actually had a bit of bearing for photo-3d :-)

              Bob Wier (WB5KXH)
     mailto:wier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   1:25 AM Monday, September 28, 1998
        Unix/Internet Administrator
   Rocky Mountain College, Billings MT.
 keeper of the Photo-3d and Overland-Trails
mailing lists and the USA GPS Waypoint server

--- begin forwarded text

|Tom Rice, a man who has handled some really snazzy WECO equipment, posted:
|
|>      This reminds me of the halcyon days when I was a member
|>      of the 581st OIFCRD maintaining M-33 Radar Fire Control
|>      Systems (ca. 1954-55).  It was universally understood
|>      that the X-band emissions from the Track Radar antenna,
|>      a classic u-wave lens design, would induce temporary
|>      sterility if directed at the loins of leave-bound troops.
|>
|They used to advertise that about the old SCR-584s at Fort Monmouth.
|One guy there
|looked for every excuse he could get to stand on the roof of the van
|while the thing
|was fired up (he had six kids already).
|
|At Aberdeen Proving Ground during the 56-58 era, I was an instructor
|on T-38/M38 and M-33 systems.   Imagine the surprise of the post
|photographer
|who was visiting the M-33 antenna area one day on real-live official
|business.
|One of our jolly band (we swore ourselves to secrecy) spied the photog
|through the
|tracking radar periscope, gave a short blast of the maggie, and we all
|had
|the thrill of watching an entire shoulder bag full of flashbulbs explode.
|
|[In case you were the photographer, IT WASN'T ME.]       *<:o)
|
|73
|John WA6QPL

|--- end forwarded text