T3D Re: Astro eyepieces and viewing lenses (TECH-3D digest 265)

  • From: "bobh" <bobh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: Astro eyepieces and viewing lenses (TECH-3D digest 265)
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 18:28:18 +0000

RE:  For John B. et al.  When discussing pin cushion or barrel
distortion which are changes of magnification across the field, we
are most always thinking of the flat rectangular (or sometimes
square) camera film which is FLAT. Don't forget our eyes are focused
on a curved surface...nature's way of saving a lot of compution so we
can use simple lenses whose plane of focus test to be a dished one.
So for  eyepieces and viewing this is a factor.  BobH