T3D Re: More macro quesions,... using slide bar

  • From: Bob_Maxey@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: T3D Re: More macro quesions,... using slide bar
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 15:27:58 -0600

>>It sure sounds like the cheap 50 mm lenses that fit my SLR
aren't as good at closeup work as RM's Leica lenses!  What
magnification were you using, Bob?  Can you do 1:1 with that
lens?  I'm amazed you get any quality at all out of it in
macro.  But then, Leica often amazes me.  You don't want to
try it with a Canon 50 mm f/1.8, I can tell you.  Throw a few
diopters on the front and it isn't half bad, though.

First of all, I use Leica and Hasselblad because I worked for a dealer for
many years. I had a chance to pick up stuff for a song. I purchased my
Hasselblad stuff because Hasselblad once offered the employees of their
dealers the opportunity to buy the camera and lenses / accessories at 50%
of Manufacturing Cost. Not Retail, not Dealer wholesale, but Manufacturing
cost.

I once was able to borrow 4 aluminum camera cases full of Leica M stuff.
Literally everything in their product line. This was on loan to me by a
Leica Sales Rep to play with and use. I returned the equipment to my boss,
who returned it or tried to anyway, to the Sales Rep.  I thought he had
forgotten that I had it. Funny thing was, the reason he never came back for
it was he was in trouble with Leica and the Law for double ordering
products for dealers, ordering stuff on behalf of dealers, making up
dealers, stealing and other stuff. I do not think he was ever heard from
again. I could have kept the equipment, as it sat in storage for several
years before we turned it over to the new Leitz rep. This was a bother, as
Leitz had no records. Good thing I was honest.

I use a 65MM F4 Macro Elmar. This lens is great as it is a short focus lens
that will focus to infinity. Great performance to boot. Macro performance
is more than excellent, it is amazing. The biggest issue with the Visoflex
is its weight. It is a large reflex housing with ground glass focusing that
fits between the lens and body. I use it because i have it.

RM