T3D Re: Deering spreadsheet

  • From: fj834@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dr. George A. Themelis)
  • Subject: T3D Re: Deering spreadsheet
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 08:35:59 -0400 (EDT)

>Besides, it is really hard to imagine a beginner attempting the
>wild example George made up.

Anyone ever tried a stereo pair of coin?  Is that a subject not
approved for a beginner?

>I find it amusing that George requires such numerical perfection.  It seems
>like only yesterday he was publicly claiming that the 1/30 rule worked just
>fine for macros.  If that's the case, perhaps his interest in my little
>spreadsheet is purely academic.

What does "worked" mean?  There are plenty of *photographers* out there
who use the 1/30 rule and it works for them.  This has been the root
of our argument for some time now.  Any rule that will result in a stereo
pair, works.  There are no technical, scientific or aesthetic arguments
that a pair with 1.2 mm on film deviation works better than one with
0.5 mm (just to pick a value).  YES, my interest in any spreadsheet
that calculates the stereobase that will result in 1.2 mm OFD is academic
only.

George Themelis