T3D Re: TECH-3D digest 508

  • From: JNorman805@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: T3D Re: TECH-3D digest 508
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:32:10 EDT

Dogbreath writes:

<< I would like to build my first twin rig from two 35mm SLR bodies. >>

There are plans and detailed instructions available for twinning Olympus XA-2
cameras, including electronic linkage.  Obviously they are not SLRs, but
people report good results.  Check the archives.

Personally, my primary rig is a pair of Canon Rebel X cameras (without the
built in flash), mounted bottom to bottom.  Their auto exposure and auto
focus functions are linked by way of two off-the-shelf shutter releases,
wired into a single button from one of them.  Press the button halfway down,
and the auto functions are activated.  Press it all the way down, and the
shutters fire.  The shutters are simultaneous enough to stop birds in flight,
flags waving in the wind, etc., with no retinal rivalry.  When I shoot with
flash, using a Vivitar 283 or 285 attached by a remote sensor cord to the hot
shoe of either camera, the shutters are simultaneous enough so that I get
perfect flash coverage on both sides about 90 per cent of the time.  The rest
of the time, I get a dark, underexposed band in the image produced by the
camera that does not have the flash attached to it.  I can improve my odds by
using slower shutter speeds and manual exposure and focus functions.
	I use two Canon 35-80 zoom lenses (also off-the-shelf, with no
attempt to test them for perfectly matching focal lengths, but they seem
perfectly fine nonetheless).  The zoom barrels of the lenses are linked two
ways:  first, by having cemented a band of rubber toothed industrial belting
around each one and a matching piece of belting around a pair of nylon roller
wheels that mesh with the zoom barrels so that when I turn one the other
follows along; and second, keeping all the teeth of these pieces of belting
in firm contact with each other by wrapping a piece of elastic material
around both lenses.  Initially, I used a jumbo-sized rubber band that I was
able to get from the Post Office, but when that wore out I was never able to
find another like it, so now I use a piece of elastic ribbon that I bought
from a local sewing store.  It's very lacy and looks like the stuff that
Victoria's Secret buys by the mile, but at least it's black!
	The two cameras are mounted in vertical orientation via their tripod
sockets onto a 1/2-inch thick piece of wood.  The wood has a semicircular
cutout for access to the 1/4x20 thread bolts that screw into the tripod
sockets.  Both faces of the wood are sheathed by a piece of metal,
approximately 3/64 inch thick (this is not critical; I used pieces that I cut
from an old T-square).  The metal pieces are screwed into the wood, and the
cameras are fastened to the metal pieces by way of the bolts.  The bolts are
more or less captive in the bolt holes in the metal pieces as follows: the
bolt holes in the metal pieces are drilled slightly undersize, and tapped
with a 1/4x20 thread.  I clamped an electric drill in a vice and fastened a
bolt longer than I would need in the chuck of the drill.  I turned the drill
on and used a metal file to turn a groove into the shaft of the bolt just
under the head (using plenty of 3-in-1 oil for cutting lubrication). I took
the bolt out of my crude lathe, and threaded a matching nut onto the bolt,
then used a hacksaw to cut the bolt to proper length, discarding the portion
of the thread that had been deformed by the chuck of the drill.  Then I filed
down the burr left by the hacksaw, and unthreaded the nut to make sure the
thread on the bolt was perfect.  Next, I threaded the bolt through the metal
piece mounted to the wood until it rotated freely at the place where it was
grooved.  I carry a combination wrench with me in my camera bag to tighten
and loosen the tripod socket screws as necessary (to change batteries, for
example).  There is no interference with the camera backs for film loading.
	I have cemented thin strips of rubber to the faces of the metal
pieces to create a non-skid interface between the camera bottoms and the
frame.  This helps to keep everything aligned, so that the cameras are always
pointed in the same direction and parallel.
	Refinements: I have attached another pice of wood across the top of
the connecting bar, creating a "T".  The flash shoe (not a hot shoe, because
the flash is connected to the camera hot shoe by way of the remote sensor
cable) and shutter button are located on that bar.  I have attached a similar
bar to the bottom of the vertical connecting bar.  I use by left hand to
support the who contraption from this bottom bar, and my right hand to hold
the top bar and activate the attached shutter button.  Also, I installed a
tripod socket in the bottom bar (using a 1/4 x 20 "T-nut") but in truth I
have never used the socket.
	The interoccular distance of this rig is 3 5/8 inches, so true
closeups are not possible.  I love the sharpness of the Canon optics, and I
am very happy with the results.
	Hope this info is helpful.

	Jim Norman