T3D twins

  • From: John Toeppen <toeppen@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D twins
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:23:19 -0700

Dogbreath <hopi@xxxxxxxxxx> asks about twins, and I respond:

The idea of electronic release is attractive.  Water and motion shots
require very good sync.  I have used twin cables before and their timing
is fine if properly adjusted.  Manual cameras have the advantage of
being set identically.   The camera body really does not matter.  Lenses
do not need to be "perfect" twins, but same make and labeled fls is very
good.  Color balance, resolution, and image size (fl) differences do
affect quality.  If you final output is electronic you have an
additional control over slight variances.

But I have a simple theory.  Equipment is secondary.  Prime photos are
primary.  Spend your money on going places to take photos, and on film
and processing.  Use any good cameras and the best used lenses that you
can buy.  The old Pentax threaded lenses and bodies are often an
exceptional value and don't even require a working meter or batteries.
My experiences lead me to believe that there is a word that usually
applies to used automatic cameras "broken".

John Toeppen
new pages & URL
http://members.home.com/holographics/