T3D $ on film not equipment

  • From: John Toeppen <toeppen@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D $ on film not equipment
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:19:18 -0700

> I am sorry but your theories make little sense... Equipment is
> secondary and use good cameras and the best lenses you can buy?
> If equipment is secondary, why use the best lenses (which are usually
> more expensive?)
>
> Spend your money on going places and equipment is secondary?
> You can spend a lot of money going to places and then find
> that you brought the wrong equipment for the job or the place.
>
> Prime photos are primary?  What does that mean?
>
> Automatic cameras have their place in the world of photography.
> That's what I have learned from the RBT S1.  There are pictures
> that I would have not taken with a manual camera.  I am willing
> to pay for the repairs as long as this camera allows me to
> take pictures that I enjoy.
>
> George Themelis

George,

You must know some people that take poor photos with great equipment.
People who will drop $1K or more on equipment in hope of making up for
their lack of skill.  Or willingness to carefully consider composition,
or even try a shot that may not come out. I have seen such people have
unobtainable batteries die in China, or on a ten day backpaking trip, I
myself have two dead electronic Nikons.

I have taken many photos that are published and posted.  Some were taken
using a pair of old screw mount Pentaxs mounted on a wood bar with a
Takumar on one body and a Hanimar on the other.  If I had waited to
afford the perfect equipment I would have missed the shots.  Equipment
was secondary, and the shots were primary.

While you may find many great photos in your backyard, this is not the
ideal place to shoot great photos.  One often has to travel, spend
money, and get off dead center.  I know many people with great equipment
who will not go out for a three day weekend specificly to shoot.  More
often than not, my Realist, a backup camera, and a pair of 1975 Nikormat
twins go with me (a $250 outfit).  Would I be happier with newer
equipment that these?  Or would I be better off spending my money on
chrome and travel?  Make your own choices, but I would rather shoot ten
rolls a month for a year than buy some expensive automatic camera that
uses $500 autofocus lenses.

John Toeppen
http://members.home.net/toeppen/index2.htm