T3D Soft results from sharp lenses & movie question

>If the dream-like quality is the result of poor optics, then all
>you need do is use filters, gels, or vasoline on great equipment
>to duplicate the effect.

A good point by DrDave.  Now, I was watching the "Mask of Zorro"
in video the other day and I noticed something strange.  There
was a dialog between a young & beautiful lady and an older guy.
The young lady was looking as if she was shot in soft focus...
The older guy was sharp and clear and could see all the wrinkles
in his face.  The view was switching back and forth... lady slightly
fuzzy, guy sharp.  I wondered if I was dreaming... Was I dreaming
or do they do these tricks on a regular basis in movies?

George Themelis