T3D Re: Soft results from sharp lenses & movie question

  • From: Brian Reynolds <reynolds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: Soft results from sharp lenses & movie question
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 09:25:09 -0400

Dr. T wrote:
> The view was switching back and forth... lady slightly fuzzy, guy
> sharp.  I wondered if I was dreaming... Was I dreaming or do they do
> these tricks on a regular basis in movies?

I'm not sure that it is still common, but it used to be done all the
time in the movies and on TV.  Watch the original episodes of Star
Trek.  Closeups of the female characters and Kirk's love interest of
the week are always soft focus, whereas far shots (more than one
character in the shot) and closeups of the male characters are not.

The only exception was McCoy, he often got soft focus close ups.  I
think this may have been done for two reasons.  First the soft focus
close up was often done when showing the kindly doctor easing the
suffering of a patient.  Second DeForest Kelly was considerably older
than the other actors and they might have been trying to disguise the
difference.

--
Brian Reynolds                  | "Dee Dee!  Don't touch that button!"
reynolds@xxxxxxxxx              | "Oooh!"

End of TECH-3D Digest 514