T3D Re: Soft results from sharp lenses & movie question

  • From: "William Carter, Ph.D." <wc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: Soft results from sharp lenses & movie question
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 15:57:06 -0700

At 04:35 PM 7/31/99 -0600, Dr. T asked:
<snip>
 >The view was switching back and forth... lady slightly
>fuzzy, guy sharp.  I wondered if I was dreaming... Was I dreaming
>or do they do these tricks on a regular basis in movies?

I remember, back in the 60's, an article in 'American Cinematographer', in
which a famous but aged actress was commenting on the fact that
cinematographer James Wong Howe had shot her without a gauze (standard for
the time). But, that she trusted him when he said that he would make her
look good without, "compromising the value of a $5,000 lens". Pretty
radical stuff for the time.