T3D ray tracing

One of the most interesting and useful articles that's appeared in Stereo
World in recent years was Boris Starosta's piece on ray tracing.

Continuing this thread, are there software/hardware combinations people
have found to be especially useful for image building/manipulation? Or
innovative ways the consumer level products have been applied? I'm
primarily interested in consumer level packages that will run on a Windows
98 platform.

Very interested in hearing about explorations into this area, program
modifications, software evaluations, etc.

--Elliott

"I've been grossly misrepresented!" (Pogo charicature of a politician
reviewing one of his own campaign speeches) --Walt Kelly