T3D Re: TECH-3D digest 531

  • From: Michael Kersenbrock <michaelk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: TECH-3D digest 531
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:27:25 -0700

> The ongoing maintanence problem is so severe that even in our
> little college library, they are EXTREMELY reluctant to start
> magazine subscriptions since they feel it will be an ongoing
> expense forever - some libraries won't even accept gift
> subscriptions due to this (at least if they are expected to
> compile them into archives). It's a real problem in my field
> (computer science) since by definition when something gets
> printed in a book it's 90% certain to be obsolete. But I cannot
> get any significant committment to providing periodicals...

You raise some good pragmatic points.  "Analogue" forms only
require commitment for the storage facilities, while digital archives
require periodic copy/conversion processes.

One thing that isn't the case currently, but may happen before
too terribly long (looking from a historical timeline viewpoint)
is that  the quantity of information when
stored digitally is very substantial in comparison to  storage
facilities and the ability to processes that media for maintenance
reasons.

I'd forecast that the digital storage media and associated processing
technologies will continue to grow exponentially (doubling every
however many years) while that which to be stored is a more linear
and therefore a slower growing base which to be stored.  So at
some point the world's library may be able to be held in one hand
in a portable unit -- and actually stored in it, not by remote access.
And it may be copyable in moments.  Fantasy, yes, but also I think
a reasonable extrapolation of digital storage history.

IOW - The future may be different because the "faults" of the digital
            side of the discussion aren't inherent, but only weaknesses of
            current (and anytime soon) implementations.

Mike K.