T3D Re: approximations

  • From: Michael Kersenbrock <michaelk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: approximations
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 00:49:06 -0700

John Toeppen wrote:

> "digital conversion might represent an
> APPROXIMATION of the original, but could not replace the original in any
> serious conservation effort."

Actually, the analog image probably being talked about being converted,
is itself only an APPROXIMATION of the actual original.  :-)

Be that as it may, what was said above is certainly true at the time of the
conversion.  However after some number of years, when the analog
approximation of real life has lost some if it's accuracy, which it will,
it'll be more of an approximation than the digitized version that
has lost nothing in that time period.

So I think for short-term conservation, the statement is true,
but for LONG term conservation, it is possibly false.

Mike K.

P.S. - With my wife's new digital camera I can go "directly" to that
           digital approximation.  :-)