T3D Re: TECH-3D digest 531

  • From: Brian Reynolds <reynolds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: TECH-3D digest 531
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:10:20 -0400

Michael Kersenbrock wrote:
> Brian Reynolds wrote:
> > period between 1909 and 1939 aircraft speeds went from 40mph to
> > 400mph.  In the period from 1949 to 1969 we went from sub-orbital
> > ballistic rockets to landing men on the moon.  In order for computer
> > storage technology to grow exponentially the knowledge about such
> > technologies has to grow at least that fast.
>
> True, to some extent, but in general terms of what needs to be stored,
> the vast majority of knowledge isn't moving that fast, only
> the "high tech" ones are.  Also, why must advanced knowledge take
> up exponentially  more storage room than less advanced knowledge
> (generally speaking)?  If I write a paper upon the subject of stone
> knives and bear skins, it might take about the same storage as
> a paper on laser eye surgery.

Actually the new techonolgies are driving both the increase in
knowledge about old technologies (e.g., doing MRI scans of ancient
mummies and artifacts), and the ease of publication brought about by
new technologies (both the web and the ability to self-publish) is
leading people to get the research they are doing about older
technologies out to more people.

> P.S. - If one says "we now know  ten times as much", what
>           exactly does that mean?  Without getting too philosophical?
>           Is there a "unit" for knowledge measurement?
>           than knowing more.

I've always found that expression somewhat silly, especially given all
the knowledge that has been lost (e.g., how to build pyramids without
the wheel, various trade secrets of the medieval guilds).

>           Example: how to build and run
>           a Saturn V rocket, as I understand it, no longer exists
>           anywhere (except maybe in old Soviet spy archives).
>           Some  knowledge isn't  added, it supplants old
>           knowledge which is lost, because nobody needs it any
>           more.

This is actually false.  We know how to build the Saturn V, and have
all the drawings (another rumor is that the drawings were destroyed).
The problem is that the technology to build the Saturn V all dates
from the 1950's and 1960's.  No one build things like that any more.
If you wanted to build an exact copy of the Saturn V (perhaps to take
advantage it being tested and flight rated) you would have to rebuild
the 1960's aerospace industry.  It would be cheaper to build a new
rocket with 1990's technology and test and flight rate it.  For at
least one part of the Saturn V (the first stage F-1 engines) serious
thought has gone into preserving the ability to build new ones
(extensive documentation, including interviews with all surviving
engineering and production staff) and just a few years ago they were
ready to restart the production line.

--
Brian Reynolds                  | "Dee Dee!  Don't touch that button!"
reynolds@xxxxxxxxx              | "Oooh!"

End of TECH-3D Digest 540