T3D Red/blue vs. red/cyan

  • From: "Ole Hansen" <olejohan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Red/blue vs. red/cyan
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:19:41 -0600

Boris Starosta <boris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Okay, Ole, but your response to my post did not
> address the subject at hand.

Sorry that I misunderstood the topic.

> Now that you've changed the subject, lets talk filters
> - an area I am very interested in.

So am I - good ones are difficult to get hold on.

>>> 99.9 percent of anaglyphs are red/blue
>>> - at least on the web.
>> Incorrect - they are red/cyan....
>> Neither red/blue or red/green are useable for coloranaglyphs.
> I have experimented with all sorts of anaglyph glasses in the
> past year, and have found the colors in my color anaglyphs to
> be brightest and most contrasty in red/blue glasses. (For example,
> the yellows and blues in Atlas Industrial Robot
> <http://www.starosta.com/3dshowcase/ihex.html>
> are more intense through red/blue glasses - either on the
> monitor, or on my fine art prints).

I was only referring to photographic coloranaglyps viewed on a
standard SVGA or XGA monitor. The prints I have made on an inkjet
printer (HP) have another colorbalance than my monitor, and I have
to use red/cyan glasses with different filters, than those that I
use with the monitor. The colorcontrol and gammacontrol of monitors
and printers for the PC is not good - or you might say bad or at
least troublesome to work with. Unfortunatly I cannot afford a
professional setup :-(

> Red/cyan glasses generally give me a brighter view, but certainly
> not more colorful/contrasty. Depending on the colors that you wish
> to convey, red/green may also work better, but I've designed my
> color anaglyphs for red/blue, as these are the easiest glasses to
> obtain (for the use of my clients).

I have checked the anaglyph nudes on your website, and they are best
viewed with the red/cyan glasses from David Burder in London.
These are wellbalaced (combining two glasses red/cyan and cyan/red
gives you a neutral grey), and they are inexpencive.

> Maybe it's just my eyes!

You might have a point. There are differences in the perception of
color from one eye to the other, and from person to person. My left
eye sees a higher colortemperature (blue tint) than my right eye.
best regards
Ole Hansen