T3D Technique for High Volume Replication of 3-D

  • From: Virtual Imaging (John Vala) <vidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Technique for High Volume Replication of 3-D
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:45:45 -0600

Some of you guys will remember my efforts to bring a quality
Realist type format Stereographic viewing system to the general
market.  Well, I'm still working on it.  I've set aside any effort to
design a camera and am working on simply, the stereo pair and
private labeling of the SV-1 Viewer like the one found in Reel 3-D.

   My present challenge is to define the process for duplicating
stereo pairs in high volume.  I believe my present plan is quite
similar to what I believe the 3-Discover folks are using to manufacture
their images.  I think it was Gabriel who went to visit them one time
right?!  Perhaps he and others in the group can comment on my
process.

Step 1: Obtain images from various formats, e.g. Film, digital CG etc.
Step 2: Bring all images into Photoshop for color correction and alignment
Step 3: Output image files in separate pairs to a film recorder
Step 4: Duplicate film onto motion picture film (e.g., in 1000 ft rolls)
Step 5: Cut film from reel in pairs and mount

   What I need to know very specifically is what type of film would work
best in the film recorder (Kodak 5248?) and what would work best with that
film in the duplicating process.

   I'm currently working with an outfit that duplicates motion picture film but
they are not familiar with the process for using Ektachrome (my first attempt
at the process) as the master copy.  The outfit with the film recorder tells me
their system is only set up for Ektachrome and they will not run anything else!
I'm sure there are others out there doing something like this (3-Discover).  What
process are they using?  Can anyone recommend a service bureau that will
output from TIFF images to a film which in compatible with high volume replication?

   I'm pretty sure some of you are familiar with these types of films and processes.
Any help would be appreciated.  I'm trying to minimize the trial and error methods
with this duplicating outfit because each attempt is pretty involved for him in time
and money.

Thanks in advance for any information you can offer.

John Vala