T3D TECH-3D digest 551

I read John Toeppen's comments on computer viewing with interest, being
myself disatisfied with the results from digitsed landscape colour
anaglyphs. Particularly so when viewing ona monitor bymoving the image
across the screen.  Wondering if things would look more realistic on a
wider screen, an 8 foot wide screen was made using  tracing paper, some
mono 35mm slides were then made in panoramic format and back projected onto
the screen so that a 90 degree  view was available  i.e. closer in angular
reality to the taking situation than usual.   This undoubtedly adds
considerable realism to what is viewed.    I do not possess a colour
anaglyph camera ( Eddie Butt of the Stereoscopic Society has made several),
so have yet to try with colour anaglyph slides.   However, high detail
reproduction is important to achieving realism and digitising makes things
worse.  Possibly this deterioration in image quality is also true for
colour anaglyphs?   An experiment with medium format panoramic images made
an improvement in realistic perception over 35mm, even with a poor
projection lens.

David Stone