T3D Re: Viewer lense focal length

  • From: Greg Erker <erker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: Viewer lense focal length
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 13:41:43 -0600

>I can never see all the detail in the slide that I see with naked
>eyes at the site.  I believe that much of this loss of detail is due to the
>fact that the view in the viewer is smaller by about 2/3 then the view of
>the site directly. I used one eye in the viewer and one directly to compare
>sizes.

  It would take very good camera lenses, optimum aperture,
well supported (ie. tripod), with good film and good viewer
optics to capture all the detail that your eye can see.

  I'm not sure if any 35mm film system can capture that
much detail. Maybe Techpan? Perhaps John B can answer
this.

  So I think your viewer is one part of the equation
(not enough magnification) but there are more issues.

>Does anyone have experience with this problem they can share?  Does anyone
>know of a realist viewer with 35MM lenses?  Am I barking up the wrong tree?
>Perhaps this is why the Euro format cameras with longer focal lengths are
>so wanted.

  Medium format makes it easier to have ortho
viewers. I used to shoot with 80mm camera lenses
and view with 82mm viewer lenses. I once stood
in the same spot viewing where I had taken a
hyperstereo shot. It was very odd. The images
were the same size in the viewer and to the naked
eye but more depth was visible in the hyper stereo.

  If you didn't want to go with medium format
perhaps you could shoot with SLRs and 50mm lenses.
They are usually very sharp at f8 or so. And this
would match your viewing lens FL better.

Greg E.