[tech-3d] Re: Different F.L.s

  • From: siggyblue@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [tech-3d] Re: Different F.L.s
  • Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:15:56 -0000

Chuck,
Thanks for the suggestion of  "Stereo Photograph" by Fritz G.
Waack DGPh AFIAP.  I just ordered it.
Although I have been taking 3-d picts for years I never could
figure out why some stereos worked better than others. Now
thanks to disscusion groups like this and other internet info I'm
finally getting an education!  I am striving for maximum 3-d effect
that can be viewed by most people.
Any other books you might suggest?
David
--- In tech-3d@xxxx, "Chuck" <cfholzner@xxxx> wrote:

> > > --- In tech-3d@xxxx, siggyblue@xxxx wrote:
> > Thanks Chuck.  I all ready know about increasing the focal
length
> > to match the print enlargement.  the problem is the viewer
F.L. is
> > around 230mm. If I were to preportionally increase my views
they
> > would be much larger than is possible to view.
>
> True, You would need to either crop your photos, use prismatic
lenses to
> increase the distance between the prints, or use a shorter
focal length on
> the viewer lenses.
>
> > What do you mean by ortho?
>
> Orthoscopic.  Objects in the viewer look to be the same size
and distance
> from you as they did when you were at the sight taking the
picture.  When
> you said that you heard that the viewer lens FL should match
the Camera's,
> You were implying "Orthoscopic".  If you are not looking for
"orthoscopic"
> then the FL's become variables to be used in various formulas
to allow
> deviation from orthoscopic and yet allow the picture to be
viewed in
> comfort.
>
> > When you say a longer focal length "increases the depth".
Do
> > you mean the viewers perception of depth?  Or are you
referring
> > to the actual distance from lens to print?
>
> Viewers perception.  A longer focal length of the viewing lenses
leads to an
> exaggeration of the depth, whereas too short a focal length
produces the
> opposite effect.
>

> You should get a copy of "Stereo Photograph" by Fritz G. Waack
DGPh AFIAP.
> Reel 3D Enterprises sells it.
>
> Chuck

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups