Re: [tech-3d] Shutter voltage

  • From: John Toeppen <toeppen@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [tech-3d] Shutter voltage
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:05:59 -0800

"William Carter, Ph.D." wrote:

> I need to drive an FELC at + and - 5 volts off an NTSC signal. I understand
> that some shuttered glasses use FELC, and some use LC, which I understand
> uses + and - 10 volts. Anyone know who sells FELC glasses???

Ferroelectric liquid crystals are necessary to achive the 120 htz that
is best for shuttered viewing.  Normal LC material has a 60 millisecond
relaxation time (return to the off state time) that limits use due to
flicker and crosstalk. The normal LC materials that have voltage driven
"gray scale states" are suitable for laptop displays but too slow for
shuttered work.   I think that the early Sega glasses were the only ones
that used the slow material.  All glasses are probably FELC now.
Voltage differences are most likely due to gap differences and the use
of different FELC materials.

John Toeppen