Re: [tech-3d] Ultra hi resolution digital photography using scanner technology

  • From: lunazzi <lunazzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [tech-3d] Ultra hi resolution digital photography using scanner technology
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 18:29:18 -0300

I am sorry to bother you, but I did not understood why you need to move the
sensor, not just leaving the scanner as it is.

I use to make photograps of objects with my digital HP scanner, after I
discovered the extraordinary depth of field (focus) it has.

So, I suppose that it could be possible to add a lens using external light to
make a photograph.

Or projecting a slide to digitalize slides and negatives.

Am I right?

The effect of a vertical slit moving was developed by a photographer of
Rochester Institute of Photography many years ago (1989, name David ... I
guess), did you know that?.  I have nice postcards on it.

Yours,

José

lunazi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Franklin J. Flocks" wrote:

>      Ultra-high resolution digital photography is possible using
>      scanner technology. The resolution can be much greater than
>      the resolution with 35mm film.  The catch is that exposure times are
>        long - often a minute or more.  The sensor in a scanner is
>        long and thin - only 3 pixels wide - It generally moves across
>        the area being scanned.  If you can get a lens to focus on the
>        sensor while it is moving - you can get a very high resolution
>        scan.  Alternatively, you can move the entire lens-sensor
>        assembly in an arc during the exposure, and get a panoramic
>        picture.
>
>      See for Example:
>
>  http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/tech/scanner.html

etc.