[tech-3d] Ultra hi resolution digital photography using scanner technology

  • From: "Franklin J. Flocks" <fjf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [tech-3d] Ultra hi resolution digital photography using scanner technology
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:09:08 -0700

     Ultra-high resolution digital photography is possible using
     scanner technology. The resolution can be much greater than
     the resolution with 35mm film.  The catch is that exposure times are
       long - often a minute or more.  The sensor in a scanner is
       long and thin - only 3 pixels wide - It generally moves across
       the area being scanned.  If you can get a lens to focus on the
       sensor while it is moving - you can get a very high resolution
       scan.  Alternatively, you can move the entire lens-sensor
       assembly in an arc during the exposure, and get a panoramic
       picture.

     See for Example:

 http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/tech/scanner.html

 "My homemade scanning camera- Building a megapixel digital camera from
 a flatbed scanner"

     "My approach basically involves trashing a $100 scanner. I disassembled
      the scanner and took out all the electronics, the CCD image sensor,
      and the stepper motor mechanism, and built a new mechanism to hold it all
      together, and rotate the CCD and lens assembly to scan its environment,
      instead of a piece of paper." (This person found it easiest to make
      a panoramic camera, and for that reason rotated the entire
      assembly, rather than moving the sensor across the "film plane")

       I think it would be really interesting to build a Stereo
       Panoramic using two scanner sensors - Since there is no film,
       it could be very compact and feed into a laptop computer.
     _________________

     If you have more money to spend, check out,
      http://www.sjphoto.com/index.shtml

     There is somebody doing high-resolution digital landscape
     photography. with some very high end custom equipment - specifically
     the "Dicomed 4x5" and "Better Light"  "digital inserts" which are
     designed to fit on a Sinar-X 4X5 view  camera - The Dicomed produces
     6000 by 7500 pixels in 130mb files with more than 9 stops of
     exposure latitude - and the Better light produces 6000 by 8000
     pixels in 142 Mb files with more than 10 stops of latitude -
     Exposure times are very long - a couple of minutes at the highest
     resolution.  If you explore this site in detail, you will find that
     he has used this equipment to shoot in Stereo - but he mentions
     it only in passing.

      Also see www.betterlight.com which has some good explanations as to
     how high end digital camera backs for 4X5 cameras work.  These
     "digital inserts" cost up to $24,000.  - Packaging is everything I
     guess.