Re: 1/2 slide

  • From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: 1/2 slide
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 00:21:07 +1000

>I manufacture specialty dark slides and have two a few comments from my
>experience:

Sounds unusual - what's a 'speciality dark slide'?

>1.     Don't try to cut a rectangular frame in the dark slide. The thin
>edge at
>the end of the slide will catch on the light trap material and you will be
>unable
>to remove the slide.

Excellent warning, thanks! I would think that the best way to aviod this
problem would be to cut the ends of the cut-out at an angle or, even
better, with rounded ends in the area outside the image. The Mamiya 6x9
slides have a rounded and scalloped insertion end for just this reason

>2.     Original dark slide material is a bit shiny and can cause unwanted
>reflections with strong lighting. You can paint the slide with a flat black
>paint, but it must be a very thin coat or the addae thickness will make
>insertion and removal difficult due to the added thickness of the paint.

My new darkslides are unpainted stainless steel so this would be a problem.
An old original one I own is black painted 'blued' steel - much better.

>3.    Only cut enough material to expose the film. You want the full width
>of the
>dark slide fully engaged with the light trap to prevent light leaks.
>
>4.    On my product, the tab (insertion/removal handle) is on the opposite
>side
>of the cut out portion which applies a diagonal force which seats the slide
>properly.

Nice trick!

>Hope this helps.

Sure does