Re: Globuscope 360 camera

  • From: Alan & Shari Kafton <shmooze@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Globuscope 360 camera
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 21:16:56 -0700

Katherine,

I don't have a Globuscope, but a good friend has two.  (I also see from
another post that Liz also has two).  According to my friend, the reason you
need two is that one is always in the shop for repair!!  And the service is
VERY SLOW.  Another quirk about the camera is that the spring must not be
left wound for more than about 1/2 hour.  Since you wind up the camera for
the entire roll, that means the entire roll must be used up within that 1/2
hour!

Don't get me wrong, they are a really cute camera...and I like the 25mm (as
I recall) focal length lens, but when I evaluated 360 cameras four years
ago, I eliminated the Globuscope and went with the more reliable Roundshot
35/35S.  (I had to compromise on the lens focal length.) Although now
discontinued, they are available used if you look hard.

Remember too, all these beasts have some idiosyncrasies.  The hobby is often
frustrating, particularly in the beginning.  But the resulting
images......wow!!

Good luck,

--Alan Kafton

ps: I strongly suggest joining the IAPP.  You will learn a lot by attending
one of their meetings and from their magazine.